Travel // Hockey & Birthday



"So what is the most popular Sport in Germany?"


Saturday, 30th of September

On saturday, H.'s other uncle (Yes, he has a big Family and no, it won't get any easier to understand who is who, because I'm not including Names. Just bare with me.) picked us up and we went to spent some time at his place.
And he promised us, that we would go to the local Hockey game in Barry's Bay. After we settled in at his house and met his wife and their daughter's cat, we...well we spent a good time playing with the cat. His Name is Larry, I hope, he won't mind, that I published his Name. 
In the evening, we were off to the hockey game. 
The Madawaska Valley Falcons Junior Hockey Team had their first game ever against the Maniwaki Mustangs. I was very excited to the Canadian National Sport live and because it was the first game of the Season it would be free Admission, so that you don't Need to spend your Money on tickets and free Hot Dogs, so that you can fight stomach cramps while you're watching the game. I'm kidding of Course, they gave you a Hot Dog and a bottle of water as a warm welcome gift. The Arena was quite full and you could feel the excitement in the air.
While I knew, that Hockey was played on the ice I was unaware of the fact, that this meant the whole Arena would be cold. Yeah I know, I'm well prepared and a Genius. 
Though at first H. and I were freezing, we were also ready to see the game. Someone had told us, that because the Falcons were a new Team, the didn't have a real lineup of players and the kids have never played together before. The age of a Junior Hockey Team differs between 18 and 22, if I remember correctly. So you had a whole bunch of kids, who never played together but wanted to stand on the ice and play Hockey nontheless (btw. "Mighty Ducks" is a great Hockey movie and I would highly recommend it to everyone.). One of them was said to have driven 23 hours to get there and try out for the game. Tryout was at 3pm and the game at 7pm. If that is not true dedication then I don't pnow what is.
Do you remeber when I said that I'm not a sporty Person? Well I'm still not, but the Hockey game was brilliant. It was fast and exciting and everyone who came was cheering for the Falcons. And it was rough too. I'm mean, I never saw one human beeing shoving another human beeing against a boundary line before, but that was harsh and suprisingly way more entertaining than Soccer. It was also amazing to see, how they were gliding over the ice.
So if you ever have the Chance and you're interested in a fast game, skates and men who ram into eachother all the time, go to a Hockey game. I certainly want to see one again.
The Falcons sadly lost though, even when they tried their best.
That's Larry. He's really something.


Sunday, the 1st of October

It was H.'s Birthday!!!
So he said, that he didn't want anyone to know that it was his birthday and I promised, I would Keep my mouth shut.
He had a great time skyping with his mum and his sister, who were both together in the Netherlands and said that that would be enough for a birthday celebration.
Apparently, it wasn't.
First of, H.'s uncle knew that it was his birthday and congratulated him and then said, we would just go out to eat lunch.
We were quite confused about that, because it wasn't mentioned before, but were also happy.
It wasn't "just lunch".
When we arrived at the "Wilno Tavern" (yes, we went there again. It is a great Tavern), we saw that a table was reserved and that other relatives of H. were there to celebrate his birthday. So not only did everyone know, that H.'s birthday was at that day but he also had a real celebration. We all ordered Food and talked and I think, H. was really happy about his birthday suprise.
After the lunch, we went on another boat ride with friend of H.'s uncle and his wife. It was still very warm and the sun was shining.
Later in the evening, H. and I went out to the dock and made some lightpainting. We had a lot of fun trying to hold still so that it would work and the results that came out. All in all, it was a great Weekend and a great birthday. 

With best regards (as always),

Alice

Comments